Monday, December 26, 2016

On resolutions

 A lot of people think New Year resolutions are silly. Well, so do I, mostly. Many people are confounded by them, that is, they use them as another chance to hop on the fad band wagon of diets, addiction cures and self-help nostrums and are later disappointed with the final results. Rather than take advantage of a deeply introspective and thoughtful opportunity for improvement, they try the same old things, deferring responsibility for personal behavior. Human nature being what it is, the outcome of these courses is always doubtful. I am proud that I did follow through with my last ‘resolution’ made up at table with Wallace as we waited for service on New Year’s Eve. It was a commitment to say “yes, yes, yes” more often.
This translated for me into attempts to make small but positive efforts to achieve the bright and clear summit rather than to dwell in the valley of gloom, doubt and despair. In actual practice this meant that, when I was confronted by a troubling situation or a discouraging remark, I paused to address the moment in the most positive way I could. If the sales person told me an item was not available in my color, we would negotiate a second choice or arrange a later shipment. If my technology skills failed me, I would take a breath and ask for assistance where I could find it. If the street traffic was thwarting my appointment time, I would calm myself and arrive un-flustered and composed, safe in knowing I had allowed enough time for a normal trip. If the catalogue telephone sales person spoke poor English, I labored patiently to be understood and to have my credit card number correctly processed. All of these small situations involve releasing control over which one’s perceived command is an illusion from the start. In my estimation I did pretty well and perhaps inspired some modest admiration among the mercantile crowd.
The power of ‘yes’ is great and its embrace can lead to wonderful and sometimes unexpected results. In the swirl of holiday parties I accepted an invitation that had small appeal. It was distantly located, midday and involved a golf course home. After I arrived I was re-introduced to one of my dearest college-days friends. Had I said ‘no’ we would not have enjoyed the sentiments of a fond reunion. She is a year older and as a hall proctor had allowed me some lenience with visitors. Dare I say more? Wicked behavior was quite routine, you see. Those were scandalous times, when saying ‘yes’ was a much more predictable option.
Reflecting on that era has helped me focus on a resolution for this year. I plan to eat more chocolate! That is the best part about introspection. It allows for a wide latitude of choices. I could have easily substituted cherry pie.
Many hugs,


         Celeste

No comments:

Post a Comment